Sunday, January 4, 2009

Our First Home Birth

After a lot of reading, classes, questions and prayer we decided to have baby number three at home with a midwife. The experience was even better than we could have imagined and we look forward to our next baby being born at home now that we have a better idea of what to expect.


I had Ally in the hospital with out any pain relief (because we got their 15 minutes before she was born) and I labored mostly at home (and in the car for an hour stuck in traffic) and I could not believe how much more safe and comfortable I felt and how much less pain I felt birthing at home. Both labors were about 10 hours but I had much fewer contractions with Shayla and they never felt unbearable like they did when I was laboring with Ally.


It was great being able to eat and drink while I was in labor. When it came time to deliver I felt strong and had energy instead of feeling exhausted. I joked afterwords that it felt more like a party than labor and delivery.


Josh was very involved and Brya and Ally got to see their little sister be born. They thought it was great to see baby Shayla join our family. I was told that Ally never stopped smiling during it all and Brya was so interested in everything that was going on and helping with the baby.
We delivered the baby in water which I hope I will always be able to do with all of our future births. Despite what most people think or imagine, our home birth in a birthing tub was one of the cleanest births I have ever seen. I have watched videos of other home and water births and they all seemed pretty clean as well. My hospital births were the ones that were messy and looked like they could be part of a horror movie.


I had a great midwife named April Kermani. The only thing I didn't like about her was how far away her office is from my house. And not because she lives out in the mountains in an old cabin. She is just located pretty far south in Vegas and we are almost as far north as you can get. What I like most about her is how much I learned from her. I got the best maternity care I have ever received and an invaluable education.

8 comments:

  1. Love it! I didn't realize you were doing a home birth! My friend Valeri just did her second home birth on Friday and swears by it. I'm so glad yours was a great sucess too! I have to have C-sections with my kids, so I doubt I'll ever get to try it at home, but let's be honest, it scares me! I'm glad for other people, but it's not for me! I'm so excited to be able to keep up with you more and can't wait to see you in February The pictures are great and you all look great! Love ya!


    P.S. Hurray for Blogs!!! I'm so glad you've joined the trend! It can be a little overwhelming at first, but once you get into it or use it more it does get easier. It looks like you've done fine though, for some people the hardest part is getting their pictures on! Would it be okay if I added your blog on my blog? I haven't asked people in the past, but figured I probably should. You are welcome to add ours to yours adwoolley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. Shayla is sooo Beautiful! Thanks so much for the Announcement and Christmas card. I'm going to try and get cards out for like Valentines...or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha,

    I love the blog! I felt like I was there after reading your description of the birth. :)

    You're an amazing woman - most mamas don't think that they could manage at home with no medical pain relief, but you are like She-Ra (that's a huge compliment, as I'm a child who watched a lot of TV in the early 80's).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting us know about your blog!! How great to have three sweet little girls now. Where are you guys now? What are you up to? We are at Durango and El Capitan. Not too far....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting me know about your blog. I have to warn you that it is totally addicting! I'm so excited to get to know you better as we work together in young women's.
    Maggie
    www.maggiesmuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amber, go ahead and add us, I added yours with out asking because you were one of the two people whose blog address I had and mine looked so lonely with out any friends to follow. So I am going to assuming you don't mind being on ours. What were the dates for your visit again?

    Sarah-you are a dork I was thinking for a minute I didn't know who you were because of your first comment. Maybe I am the dork for thinking you were someone else. Especially since I didn't send my blog to any other Sarahs I know.

    I did have the advantage of being forced to have a natural childbirth and I knew it had to be easier than what I already went through. But if you want to use She-Ra as a way to describe me that is fine with me.

    Heather- We are in the Cottages still at Bruce and Centennial. How are you liking things in your new neighborhood?

    Maggie- I might have to take you up on your offer and ask you some blogging questions because I was getting pretty frustrated with the formatting and a few other things I didn't have time to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on the new baby. i love the name. my brother went on the same mission so i have heard that name before. you have such a sweet family. i am going to put your link on my blog if thats okay i dont want to forget to look at it when we move to new mexico. we will be living right by chad and tracy hiatt. what a small world huh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I just came across your blog from the Williams and I'm so excited you are apart of the blog world too. :) Congratulations on your new baby girl.

    ReplyDelete